Global Trends in Android Use 2015
published on Thursday December 17, 2015
VisionMobile created this report in collaboration with Celltick, to provide greater insight into the way in which users interact with their handsets, and the applications they use. The data, provided by Celltick, covers a period from April to July 2015, and is used by Celltick to customize their flagship product.
Celltick’s Start is a lock-screen replacement available from the Google Play store. The app lets users jump directly to their preferred applications, and content, direct from the device lock screen. To personalize the service the software also makes use of technical details including the phone model and installed software, along with network utilization, and this data was anonymized and provided to VisionMobile for analysis.
Extracting information, and insights, from raw information is what VisionMobile does best, so analyzing the data from Celltick was incredibly productive. Sorting through the massed data, to extract the interesting trends and patterns, has taken several months but led to some fascinating conclusions about how, and why, people are using smartphones today.
- Which app download patterns are distinctive among different handset manufacturers? What are the factors affecting different app downloads?
- Which apps are dominant in the high-end handsets? Are the same apps dominant in low-end handsets?
- How do newer versions of the Android operating system affect users? Which markets are the first to adopt the updated OS?
- What are the trends in smartphone penetration and smartphone usage across regions?
Data source The analysis is based on anonymized grouped Android usage data provided by Celltick. The data is collected from devices that have the Start app installed - either preloaded or downloaded directly by the customer from Google Play. The data comes from devices across 209 countries and refers to the period April to July 2015.
Weighting To eliminate the effect of regional sampling bias we weighted the given dataset based on the distribution of Android smartphone users across countries. To obtain the distribution of the total Android users across countries we combined the following data points at the country level:
- Total population
- Smartphone users as a percentage of the total population
- Android users as a percentage of smartphone users.
- The result of the above calculations was an estimated number of Android users per country which we then use to express the weight of each country as a percentage of the global total Android users.
Table of Contents
To get a full list of this report’s contents and a sample graph, please download the brochure.