Developer Economics: The State of the Developer Nation Q1 2016
published on Saturday March 19, 2016
Welcome to the State of the Developer Nation Q1 2016 report, based on the 10th Developer Economics global survey wave. Produced by VisionMobile, Developer Economics is the leading research program on mobile, desktop, IoT, and cloud developers, tracking developer experiences across platforms, revenues, apps, languages, tools, APIs, segments and regions. The 10th Developer Economics global survey wave ran from October to November 2015, and reached more than 21,000 developers in over 150 countries. The report focuses on seven major themes – each with its own visualisation showing how the data lends insight into the developer community. This State of the Developer Nation report highlights some of the most interesting findings from the survey: the trends in platform and language that are changing the industry, and how developers are meeting those new challenges. In this report we’ve summarized the key findings, and present some thoughts on how those trends will change the software landscape over the next few years.
We are currently running our new survey and it is sci-fi themed! Would you like to contribute ? Take the survey
- Which platforms are attracting developer attention? How are developers dividing their time?
- Who are developers? How have the 6 segments or types of developers, from Hobbyists to Enterprise IT, evolved over the last six months?
- How are developers applying their skills across domains, between mobile, desktop, cloud and IoT?
- How have developers’ preferred languages changed over the last 12 months, from Java to Swift?
- Which developers are making the most money? Which business model is paying off best for them?
- What IoT Revenue Models are making money for many developers?
Developer Economics 10th edition reached an impressive 21,941 respondents from 150+ countries around the world. As such, it is the most global research on mobile, desktop, IoT and cloud developers combined ever conducted. This report is based on a large-scale online developer survey designed, produced and carried out by VisionMobile over a period of seven weeks between October and November 2015.
Table of Contents
CHAPTER 1: The platform landscape
- The Desktop still reigns supreme for developer pros
- Windows is still the developers’ native choice
- The race to the pocket is down to two
- Head in the Clouds, but Clouds in the office
CHAPTER 2: How developers build experience, and where it takes them
- Software experience shows a middle-age bulge
- It takes experience to explore the clouds
- Segmenting the developer community
CHAPTER 3: Building bridges across developer communities
- One foot in the desktop
- Bridge Building
- Mobile, a playground for greenhorns and old hands alike
- In the future, everyone will be a cloud developer for 15 minutes - or more
- IoT is not mainstream yet - but it is getting there
- Mobile, Desktop, & Cloud - three platforms bridging into one
CHAPTER 4: Language trends over the last 12 months
- More developers are following the script
- Languages for cloud 9, and 10, and 11
CHAPTER 5: Developer revenue by targeted platform
- Most developers are still below the poverty line
- The big bucks are in browsers, but not the mobile browser
- A two-horse race to making money from mobile
- There’s money in them there clouds
CHAPTER 6: IoT Business models
- IoT is tough business
- The exploration phase
- The most effective IoT revenue models
Vision Mobile Reports were referred to me by our first investors as the Developer Economy Reference